Are you or your family finding it hard to cope?
Like to improve your family relationships?
Interested in support to become a better parent?
Would you like support to prepare for release?
The Nepacs family support service, funded primarily by HM Prisons and Probation Service and Durham and Tees Valley CRC, aims to ensure that prisoners and their families:
- can access support, to enable family ties to be re-established or sustained throughout a prison sentence
- gain more and faster access to support within the community
- are known to local authority services when a parent is imprisoned, thus ensuring early intervention, which can help prevent greater problems later on
- can access all of the local resources to which they are entitled
- work together to decrease the chance of intergenerational crime
- receive support prior to release to enable a more successful resettlement.
We have family support staff in HMP Holme House, HMP&YOI Kirklevington Grange, HMP & YOI Deerbolt, HMP Durham, HMP Northumberland, HMP Frankland and HMP&YOI Low Newton, where we also have a family engagement coordinator, through a contract with Pact (a national charity supporting prisoners families). They can be contacted by ringing the visitors' centres at these prisons.
Our family support team help to facilitate a joined-up, multi-agency approach to working with the children and families of prisoners, and provides links between services from a wide range of agencies, including Integrated Offender Management services, the voluntary sector, and prison-based family support. Find out more about their work with agencies across the north east here.
Hidden Sentence Training
For professionals working in the north east with children and families who may have been impacted by imprisonment we also offer a one day training course, designed by Action for Prisoners' Families (APF), called Hidden Sentence training.
Nepacs can also deliver Hidden Sentence awareness raising sessions (varied in length) if required or tailor the training to meet your organisational needs.